Little Chefs Big Chefs CIC works with children, young people, families and vulnerable adults as part of its cooking and food education activities. During these activities, we may face situations where abuse and/or neglect may be noticed and/or disclosed.
THE PURPOSE OF OUR POLICY IS:
• to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults who access Little Chefs Big Chefs CIC services from all forms of abuse
• to provide parents/carers, other professionals, staff and volunteers with the overarching principles that guide our approach to child protection
• to protect employees and/or volunteers from all forms of abuse
This policy statement applies to anyone working on behalf of Little Chefs Big Chefs CIC including management, paid staff, volunteers, sessional workers, agency staff and students as well as those in partnership with us.
This policy has been drawn up on the basis of legislation, policy and guidance that seeks to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults in the United Kingdom.
WE BELIEVE THAT:
• children, young people and vulnerable adults should never experience abuse and/or neglect of any kind
• we have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children, young people and vulnerable adults to keep them safe and to practise in a way that protects them
WE RECOGNISE THAT:
• the welfare of the child and young person is paramount, as is that of the vulnerable adult
• all children, young people and vulnerable adults regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation have a right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
• some children, young people and vulnerable adults are additionally vulnerable because of the impact of previous experiences, their level of dependency, communication needs or other issues
• working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, carers, vulnerable adults and other agencies is essential in promoting young people’s welfare
WE WILL SEEK TO KEEP CHILDREN, YOUNG PEOPLE AND VULNERABLE ADULTS SAFE BY:
• valuing, listening to and respecting them
• appointing a nominated safeguarding lead
• developing child, young people and vulnerable adult protection and safeguarding policies and procedures which reflect best practice
• using our safeguarding procedures to share concerns and relevant information with agencies who need to know, and involving children, young people, vulnerable adults, parents/carers and families appropriately
• recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
• providing effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support, training and quality assurance measures
• implementing a code of conduct for staff and volunteers
• using our procedures to manage any allegations against staff and volunteers appropriately
• ensuring that we have effective complaints and whistleblowing measures in place
• ensuring that we provide a safe physical environment for our children, young people, vulnerable adults, staff and volunteers, by applying health and safety measures in accordance with the law and regulatory guidance
• recording and storing information professionally and securely
We believe that every individual has the right to be happy and to be safe with everyone having a responsibility to make this happen.
Our full safeguarding policy can be provided upon request.